Isocyanate crosslinking agents for waterborne adhesives
Under the name Desmodur® D, Bayer offers solvent-free polyisocyanates for the crosslinking of waterborne adhesive dispersions.
Properties: The low reactivity of these crosslinking agents, which are based on aliphatic isocyanates, means that they can be used in aqueous polymer dispersions with a virtually neutral pH, including polyurethane, polyvinyl acetate, polyacrylate and synthetic rubber dispersions. Their effectiveness is retained for several hours. The heat resistance of bonds based on Dispercoll® U is significantly improved by crosslinking with Desmodur® D.
Uses: For applications in the shoe industry, Desmodur® D is used as a crosslinking agent for adhesives based on Dispercoll® U, These materials are excellent for bonding soles.
Advantages: The Desmodur® D grades
- significantly raise the softening point of the adhesive film
- improve solvent resistance and resistance to the migration of plasticizers, grease and oil
- increase the resistance to chemical degradation / hydrolysis
- significantly improve the water resistance of bonds with wood glues based on certain polyvinyl acetate dispersions
- are based on aliphatic isocyanates and therefore do not impair the resistance of the adhesive to discoloration when exposed to light
Contact us and our technical experts will be pleased to give detailed advice on specific applications of Bayer products in the footwear industry.